Families press for end to hazing
Last updated 1/17/2022 at 10:43am
Sam Martinez, a freshman at Washington State University, was found dead from alcohol poisoning at his fraternity house just weeks into the 2019 school year. He was the victim of a hazing tradition at his fraternity.
Now his mother is pressing for rules that would prevent future tragedies. Jolayne Houtz said her goal since her son’s death has been to “try and save a life for the one that was taken from us two years ago.”
According to Rep. Mari Leavitt, D-Pierce County, approximately 100 deaths associated with hazing have occurred in the U.S since 2000. Washington established legislatio...